Mayo clinic invented the scissors for suturing the tissues and trimming the damaged skin near the wounded area. These scissors are known as Mayo scissors. These are beneficial for dissecting rigid tissues and bones. The blades and handles of scissors are of the same length, and have round and blunt working ends. There are two major types of Mayo dissecting scissors, namely curve or straight. Other different types and designs are also available depending on the length of handles and shape of blades.
Manufacturers utilize premium quality stainless steel material for making surgical scissors. These are available in both forms, either disposable or sterilizable. If the surgeons are using sterilizable scissors, then they should make sure that the scissors are thoroughly and properly cleaned and autoclaved.
Noteworthy Functions And Features Of Mayo Dissecting Scissors
During surgical procedures or dressing of wounds, scissors are helpful for dissecting the sutures and trimming the injured skin or wound. These scissors are also known as the “Suture Mayo Scissors.” Scissors in curve shape are useful for cutting rigid tissues such as ligaments, fascia, and tendons. The scissors have round and blunt working ends, which prevents the deep penetration in tissue and injury of nearby tissues and bones while cutting the tissues.
Some of the features of these scissors are:
- Beneficial for cutting of sutures and hard tissues during human surgical procedures, Scissors are helpful for cutting the layers of muscles and fascia.
- They have sharp cutting edges and blunt working ends, which prevents the damage of adjacent tissues.
- Mayo scissors also come in SuperCut scissors design.
What Are Mayo Scissors Used For?
For surgical procedures, mayo scissor is essential equipment as it is helpful for analyzing the slanted muscles, angled muscles, and the transversus abdominis. In gynecological operations, these scissors are helpful to cut the structures such as supporting tendons and uterus. During C-section operation, these are useful for cutting the abs and sashes. In different types of muscle surgeries, scissors are valuable for cutting the tendons and ligaments. Hence, these scissors perform different functions in different surgical operations and are used by surgeons as per the need of the operations. For other operations such as eye surgery, iris scissors are beneficial to use, and operating scissors are valuable for operative surgical procedures.
There are various types of mayo scissors such as:
- Scissors With Semi-Blunt Ends
One type of these scissors has semi-blunt ends, which have long handles and sharp blades. The middle section of these scissors is narrow as compared to the Metz scissors.
- Straight Bladed Scissors
These scissors are also known as suture scissors, and these have straight blades. Commonly these are useful in suturing the tissues around the injured or wounded parts.
- Curved Bladed Scissors
These have curved blades which allow the deep penetration in the wounded part as compared to the straight-bladed scissors. Commonly these are beneficial to cut the thick tissues such as tissues near the foot, uterus, or breast.
Metzenbaum Vs. Mayo Scissors
The major differences between these two dissecting scissors are:
- Metz scissors use for cutting for thin and delicate tissues, while mayo scissors use for dissecting and cutting thick and rigid tissues.
- Mayo scissors have semi-blunt ends, while the Metz scissors have blunt ends with sharp blades.
- Metz scissors have a long shank to blade ratio, while the mayo scissor has the same shank to blade ratio.
- Metz scissors are not suitable for doing surgical procedures in the deeper sites as they do not allow deeper penetrations.
- The use of Metz scissors for cutting the sutures and thick tissues makes them dull and less useful for procedures, while the mayo scissors are beneficial for cutting sutures and stitches.
- Metz scissors are only helpful for fine dissections and are slightly have curve design.
- In the surgical procedures of the abdomen and other delicate organs, Metzenbaum scissors are of use, while in the procedures of cutting ligaments and muscles, mayo scissors are best to use.
Whether you are looking for straight blade scissors or curve blade mayo scissors, visit GerMedUSA Inc. It supplies and manufactures surgical instruments of premium quality and at competitive prices. The entire surgical instruments available on the website require less maintenance because of quality materials. Choose the equipment of your choice to make the surgical procedures effective and successful. with reliable and customized instruments. So do not think more and visit the website for newly designed and innovative surgical instruments.