It is well known that not all types of metals can be cut with the help of machines that use a gas or oxygen flame. For these situations you need a Plasma Cutter. It is used for processing hard materials, such as: stainless steel, copper or aluminum, without leaving too much slag and ensuring a thin and precise cut. In addition, plasma cutting saves materials and saves us from further processing.
If you are looking for a professional plasma cutting machine and you need practical expert recommendations, details about the models available on the market, but also the main differences between them, this article can help you make a correct and responsible choice. Next we will talk about the most important criteria in choosing, but also the advantages of why to opt for a plasma device from Etop – local distributor of equipment and construction equipment.
How does a plasma welding and cutting machine work and what types are there?
To understand how functional and efficient a machine can be, you need to know how the working principle works. A plasma cutting machine with a built-in compressor consists of the following components: power supply, burner, earthing cable and compressor or compressed air cylinder. The principle of operation is simple: an electric arc is produced, supplied together with the compressed air, which is then transformed into plasma, used for cutting. The plasma temperature can reach up to 20,000 degrees, 6 times higher than in the case of oxygen cutters. In turn, plasma devices can be of several types:
- Portable plasma cutting machine (for manual cutting). It is used for working with small sections of 1 – 10mm, such as: plumbing, production of doors, gates, grilles. They are especially suitable for cutting holes for locks and hinges.
- Automated cutting machine. Much more efficient and innovative. They can operate with 2 and up to 4 heads, controlled by a processor. They are suitable for cutting parts from 1×1 to 3x30m.
Plasma devices also differ in the type of gas used. In this case, we distinguish: models with compressed air, with argon, oxygen, nitrogen or mixtures between them. Another important classification is according to the mode of production of the electric arc (ignition): by contact, pneumatic or by high frequency (HF). And the last grouping is by type of cooling. Thus, we distinguish air and liquid cooling devices.
What criteria to pay attention to when choosing a plasma cutting plant?
In addition to the types and principle of operation, in choosing a plasma device it is important to take into account the main technical and functional characteristics with which it is equipped. It is on these that the productivity and performance of any machine depends directly, but also its efficiency and durability over time. Here are the specifications worth noting:
- The thickness of the metal to be cut. The electrical power of the machine depends on this criterion. Thus, for cutting efficiency, every 1 mm of metal thickness requires a power of 4A. It is best to reserve the power of the plasma device.
- Operating time. This indicates how long the appliance will be able to work without a break and depends on the power and type of cooling. For example, for a small garage and workshop, a plasma device with a duty cycle of about 40% will fit. And for industrial purposes, 60-80% is already needed.
- Required compressor power. To ensure a quality plasma cut, the device needs to be stably supplied with compressed air. Thus, the compressor must have a performance 20-30% higher than planned.
- Cable length. Usually, plasma cutters have a cable with a length of 1.5 – 8m. The longer the length, the easier it is to move the device.
Choose any model of plasma cutting machine and consumables at Etop
If you want to buy or rent a plasma cutting machine, at Alibaba you have the best offers for welding, cutting and punching machines. We collaborate with well-known brands in this niche, in order to offer you performance and quality guarantee. All our clients benefit from specialized consultancy, the possibility of payment in installments, advantageous offers, delivery and assembly throughout the country, but also technical maintenance.