Most Microsoft Excel users are unable to use the arrow keys to navigate between cells. Other editions of Microsoft Excel, such as 2010 and 2013, may also experience this problem. If the arrow keys are not responding in Excel 2016, you can follow this article to learn how to quickly solve the issue on a laptop or computer.
Why won’t my arrow keys in Excel work?
This Excel issue might occur for a variety of causes. Why are my arrow keys not working in Excel? may be on your mind. Then, you must first identify the reason for this mistake before locating a solution. As a result, we have outlined the reasons of this problem in Excel so that you can investigate it and take appropriate action. The causes are as follows.
1. the moment the Scroll Lock Key is activated.
2. This mistake was made by Sticky Keys.
3. You are unable to use the arrow keys because add-ins are corrupt.
4. It is formula entry mode on the Excel sheet.
5. The specific area in Excel is locked thanks to Freeze Panes.
6. The Excel document is secured.
7. The arrow keys are caused by complicated formulas.
Do not panic if you are wondering why the arrow keys in Excel are not functioning and encountering any of the aforementioned problems. You’ll discover several solutions in this guide to help you remedy the issue with an Excel sheet.
Get the best QuickBooks Data Services
What to Do if Excel’s keyboard arrow keys aren’t working?
As was already said, there are several methods you can use to fix this mistake. You can, for example, turn off the Scroll Lock Key, correct Sticky Keys, turn off damaged add-ins, exit Formula Entry mode, unfreeze the columns and rows in the current view, turn off protection for the Excel sheet, or determine whether you are doing multiple computations. In the sections that follow, we’ll explain these methods via a manual process. On the basis of the cause you identify, you can implement the solutions. So let’s get going.
Fix 1: Use the on-screen keyboard to disable the Scroll Lock Key.
The Scroll Lock Key is what causes the entire Excel sheet to move when you press the arrow key instead of just moving from cell to cell. Therefore, removing the Scroll Lock Key can fix the issue when the arrow keys in Excel on a laptop stop working.
Since the Scroll Lock Key is not included in upcoming versions, you are unable to disable it using the physical keyboard.
You must therefore use an on-screen keyboard to disable the Scroll Lock Key.
Let’s follow the instructions listed below to find out how to accomplish this.
1. Use the Windows key along with the R key to launch the Run dialogue box in the first step.
2. You can enter “osk” into the text area and then either click the OK button or use the Enter key. The On-Screen Keyboard will appear on your computer’s screen as a result.
3. The Scroll Lock key with the name “ScrLk” may be found on the On-Screen Keyboard. You can deactivate it by clicking on this key. The ScrLk key displays in the same colour as the other keys on the on-screen keyboard once you deactivate it.
4. Later, you can practise utilising the arrow keys by opening your Excel document.
If Excel still prevents you from using the arrow keys after you deactivate the Scroll Lock key, move on to the next solution. Because there are occasions when the Scroll Lock key is not problematic, if you discover that the arrow keys in Excel are not functioning properly, you can seek for further solutions that are covered below.
Fix 2: Short-term disablement of the sticky keys
The majority of people experience this arrow key problem as a result of the broken Sticky Keys. If Excel’s arrow keys and scroll lock aren’t working, you can temporarily turn off the Sticky Key and check to see if the problem has been resolved. This is the procedure.
1. To enter the Run dialogue box, press Windows Key along with the R Key.
2. The Control Panel window will then appear if you type Control Panel and press the Enter key.
3. Using the search box in the top right corner of the Control Panel, you can look for the Ease of Access Center.
4. Scroll down to see Explore all settings here. You can then select the “Make the keyboard easier to use” button.
5. To make it easier to type, you must now scroll down and select that option. All of the boxes related to “turn on Sticky Keys” can be checked here.
6. You can save every setting after pressing the Apply button.
7. You can eventually check the boxes again and select the Apply button.
See more tech posts: QuickBooks Error OL 222